Updated: June 30, 2020
As the landscape shifts daily during the COVID-19 pandemic, the OMA is committed to providing information to support Ontario’s museums and museum workers to weather this crisis and recover well once the threat has passed. This webpage will be updated as new information and resources become available.
A Message from OMA President Paul Robertson
Please see below for collected information and resources regarding the novel coronavirus and its impacts for Ontario museums. These resources are not to be taken as legal advice or a definitive answer for any particular museum, but rather as a guide for preparedness for the field. We encourage members to consult relevant policies & legislation.
OMA Webinar Series and #MuseumsConnectOn Member Check-ins
OMA Webinar Series
New Topics on Tuesdays at 10am
Questions? Email email@example.com
Monday, June 15, 2020, 10am
Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10am
#MuseumsConnectON Member Check-ins
Every Wednesday at 10am
Directory of Resources
- Impact on OMA programs and services
- Government Resources regarding COVID-19
- OMA's Advocacy Response to COVID-19
- Department of Canadian Heritage Updates
- COVID Resources and Responses from Other Associations
- Collections & Facilities Care
- Human Resources & Business Continuity Planning
- Remote Work & Self-Care
- Supporting Volunteers
- Emergency Preparedness & Risk Management
- Communications on Museum Closures and Program Changes
- Digital Outreach During Closures
- New! Preparing for Recovery and Re-Opening
- Links to ONMuseums updates
In line with Public Health direction and to maintain social distancing, the OMA has arranged for staff to work remotely until further notice. Best efforts will be made to continue to deliver programs and services during this time and members may see the following impacts.
- The OMA Office at 50 Baldwin St in Toronto will be closed until further notice.
- Emails and voicemails will be monitored and responded to during business hours within 2 business days.
- Memberships will continue to be processed and OMA website functionality and access has not been affected.
- There may be some delay in mailing membership packages due to limited staff access to the OMA office.
- POSTPONED - Indigenous Collections Symposium 2020: Mashkawatgong-mamawewiziwin – strengthening our bonds, sharing our practices, March 24-25, 2020, Canadian Museum of History, Gatineau, QC.
- June 29, 2020: See the updated Certificate in Museum Studies calendar for new dates and formats.
- All future in-person and online events will be confirmed in advance.
- Registrations for all postponed events will carry forward. Refunds will be provided on request.
- The weekly ONMuseums newsletter Thursday mornings will continue to go out as usual.
- eNews Alerts will notify members of time-sensitive information or initiatives.
- OMA social media (facebook and twitter) will be monitored and updated.
- The OMA website and this webpage will be updated regularly.
- Send a letter to your MPP about the importance of supporting museums for COVID-19 Recovery
- April 8, 2020 - The OMA's COVID-19 Impact Survey collected essential information from March 20 to April 1 on the effects of the global pandemic, presenting a snapshot in time
- March 24, 2020 - Video message from OMA President Paul Robertson
- March 20, 2020 - Ontario Museum Association Survey on the Impacts of COVID-19 for Ontario Museums.
- March 19, 2020 - Letter to Ministers MacLeod, Phillips, and McNaughton on behalf of Ontario's museums.
- COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for Heritage Organizations – Museums Assistance Program
- Canadian Heritage Grants and Contributions Portal: Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations
- COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund for Heritage Organizations: Should my organization apply? and How much support could I get?
- Emergency Support Fund for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations- Details on $500million in support, announced May 8, 2020
- Deadline extensions for Museums Assistance Program Canada-France Agreement and Commemorating the History and Legacy of Residential Schools
- Information for Canadian Heritage grants and contributions recipients related to COVID-19
- Canadian Museums Association
- Culture and Heritage Groups Seek Targeted COVID-19 Support - joint letter to the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Canadian Heritage.
- Ontario Association of Art Galleries - COVID-19 Crisis Response
- American Alliance of Museums - Resources and Information for the Museum Field
- Association of Science and Technology Centers - Science Centers & COVID-19
- Imagine Canada - COVID-19 and the Canadian Nonprofit Sector
- Heritage BC - A Compendium of Tips and Information for Governance, Management and NFP Operations
- MuseumStudy.com online course - Cultural Institution Crisis Response (free registration)
- International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM) - Heritage in Times of COVID
- International Coalition of Site of Conscience- Stronger Together Webinar Series
- National Trust for Canada - Webinar Series
- Group of Ontario Emerging Museum Professionals
- Canadian Conservation Institute
- Caring for Heritage Collections during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID-19 and recommendations for heritage institutions
- CCI Note 1/3 Closing a Museum for the Winter
- Collections Stewardship Professional Network - Steps for Collections Professionals
- Ontario Public Health - Cleaning and Disinfection for Public Settings
- US National Park Service: Safer Cleaning Alternatives For The Museum & Visitor Centre
- US National Center for Preservation Technology and Training- YouTube Channel
- Public Health Agency of Canada: Community-based measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19
- Society of American Archivists: Documenting in Times of Crisis: A Resource Kit
- Government of Ontario
- Backgrounder - Employment Standards Amendment Act (Infectious Disease Emergencies), 2020
- Guide to the Employment Standards Act
- O. Reg. 107/20: ORDER UNDER SUBSECTION 7.1 (2) OF THE ACT - MEETINGS FOR CORPORATIONS
(This emergency order applies to not-for-profit corporations incorporated under the Ontario Corporations Act (CA) and gives them the ability to hold virtual meetings; as well as extends the timeframe for AGMs to be held.)
- Government of Canada
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Employment and Social Development Canada
- Free service by the Canadian Business Resilience Network: Connect with qualified business advisors to navigate the impact of COVID-19
- Young Associates (Resources kindly shared by Young Associates. Provided for information, not to be taken as legal advice.)
- June 17 - Navigating the CECRA Program (Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance)
- June 12 - Important CEWS Budgeting Considerations
- April 28 - Navigating the Crisis: Federal Support Programs - Webinar with the Ontario Museum Association and the Ontario Association of Art Galleries
- April 16 - Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy Updates & Interpretations
- April 8 - How to Apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit
- April 8 - Setting up Direct Deposit with the CRA
- April 8 - How to Set Up Your Nonprofit’s Access to the CRA Through Represent A Client
- March 25 - Payroll Tips on Accessing the 10% Temporary Wage Subsidy for Employers
- March 24 - Tips for Working Remotely: Increase Efficiency, Adopt Digital Payments
- March 24 - Tips for Working Remotely: Accounting Processes & Documentation
- March 24 - Evaluating COVID-19 Impact: Approaches to Quantification
- March 24 - Evaluating COVID-19 Impact: Effective Bookkeeping Practices
- March 20 - Tips for Completing Record of Employment Forms with respect to COVID-19
- World Health Organization - Getting Your Workplace Ready for COVID-19
- NPower - Nonprofit Guide to Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety - Flu and Infectious Disease Outbreaks Business Continuity Plan
- Online platforms temporarily waiving subscription fees for users
- Funding Portal - All COVID-19 Stimulus Funding Available in Your Region, In One Place
- Supporting Seasonal Staff during COVID-19- Contributing partners include: Association of Nova Scotia Museums, BC Museums Association, Museums Association of Saskatchewan and the Yukon Historical Museums Association.
- Tamarack Guidelines for Working Remotely
- American Alliance of Museums 13 Tips for Working Remotely
- 8 Tips To Make Working From Home Work For You
- 3 Things You Can Do to Build Community in a Time of Coronavirus
- Canadian Mental Health Association - COVID-19 and mental health
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health - Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Volunteer Canada
Website pop-up messages:
- Social Media during COVID-19: A Quick Guide for Canadian Museums - Contributing partners: Association of Nova Scotia Museums, BC Museums Association, Museums Association of Saskatchewan and the Yukon Historical Museums Association.
- 4 Ways Museums Can Successfully Leverage Digital Content and Channels during Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- WEBINAR: How to Captivate, Connect, and Communicate with Your Audience During Coronavirus
- WEBINAR: How Museums Can Experiment with Social Media to Boost Audience Engagement During Coronavirus
- WEBINAR: How to Keep Your Audience Engaged, Entertained, and Inspired in the Age of Coronavirus
- WEBINAR: How to Craft Meaningful and Mindful Digital Content in the Age of Coronavirus
- WEBINAR: Thinking Outside the Box to Reach Audiences Inside Their Homes
- Museum Computer Network - The Ultimate Guide to Virtual Museum Resources, E-Learning, and Online Collections
- ICOM - How to reach – and engage – your public remotely
- Communique - Changing a physical event to a virtual event
- Creating a Winning Online Exhibition: A Guide for Libraries, Archives and Museums, Martin R. Kalfatovik
- Almost Like Being There: Creating Virtual Visits to Heritage Spaces, Julian Kingston
- National Trust for Canada Webinar: Digital Platforms for Heritage Places 101
- St. Catharines Museum will post activities on their Facebook Page
- Bata Shoe Museum is releasing daily colouring sheets on their website
- Brockville Museum highlighted their digital collections on Twitter
- Osgoode Township Museum offered "to-go" kits of activities that had been prepared for March Break
- Glenbow from Home
- St. James Cathedral
- Dundas Museum & Archives
- Amherstburg Freedom Museum
- Oakville Museum
- Bytown Museum
- OMA Guidance for Museums Reopening After Closure Due to COVID-19
- Government of Ontario- Workplace Safety Guidelines
- City of Toronto Reopening Guidelines
- International Council of Museums (ICOM)
- American Alliance of Museums - Preparing to Reopen
- Ontario Association of Art Galleries
- American Association for State and Local History (AASLH)
- The Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections and ICOM NATHIST Plenary Session, June 9, 2020
Sample Guidelines, Plans, and Messaging from Other Jurisdictions:
- British Columbia Museums Association
Reopening Guidelines for BC Museums, Galleries & Cultural Organizations
- Alberta Museums Association
Guidance for Reopening Museums
Includes Appendix B: Appendix B: Ticketing Service Providers
- Association of Manitoba Museums
Recommendations for Re-opening Your Museum
- Museums Association of Saskatchewan
Recommendations for Re-opening Your Museum
- Association of Nova Scotia Museums
Guide for Museums in Nova Scotia: Core Public Health Measures
- Museums Association (UK)
Reopening the museum sector: a statement from the Museums Association
- Sample Public Messaging and Plans for Reopening: