Leslie Log House
Designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, the Leslie Log House was originally the home of John Leslie Sr. and his wife Esther Beattie Leslie who came to Upper Canada in 1824 from Sutherlandshire, Scotland. In 1994, the Leslie Log House was relocated from 7250 Mississauga Road, just north of Derry Road in the Meadowvale area, to its current location on the Pinchin property, 4415 Mississauga Road. This building is a rare example of early 19th century log construction. There have been a number of renovations, such as the addition and later removal of a summer kitchen, but the original structure has been preserved. It was moved to its current location to preserve the property for use by future generations.
John Leslie Sr. leased 200 acres north of Streetsville and 21 years later bought the property, Toronto Township Lot 12, south half, Concession 5 W.H.S. In 1826 he built this white cedar, storey-and-a-half, log home. The house was a short distance from Mullet Creek located at the north of Derry Road. There were seven children in the Leslie family. Two sons became well known, Robert Leslie, a master builder and George, who ran a successful nursery in the area that became known as Leslieville, Toronto.
In 1860 the house was renovated to give it a more neo-classical appearance with a wide central door flanked by side lights. Another later addition was a full basement with stone walls. Responding to the fashion and tastes of the time, the house was covered in clapboard siding by 1880. It is thought that the siding was removed in 1960.
Type: Historic Building