|The Ontario Provincial Election results are in.
- Doug Ford will be the new Premier, forming a majority government with the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party.
- The New Democratic Party (NDP) led by Andrea Horwath will form the Official Opposition.
- The Liberals lost their official party status, and while Kathleen Wynne won her seat in Don Valley West, she resigned as party leader.
- The Green Party won their first seat in the Ontario Legislature, with leader Mike Schreiner elected in Guelph.
Please scroll down for links to media coverage.
The Ontario Museum Association (OMA) congratulates Ontario’s new Premier-designate Doug Ford, all of the recently elected MPPs.
Our work in communicating the important work of museums in their communities continues as usual. Over the summer, the OMA Council will continue to elaborate and develop the proposed components of a new funding model, with necessary policy and programs to strengthen Ontario museums while considering the new political context, leading up to Conference in October. The OMA will continue to work closely with the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport on the museum funding program review, developing a new way forward on the renewed funding model, and keeping members informed.
Here’s what museums can do over the summer to support strong government relationships going forward:
- Congratulate your MPP (on twitter, by letter, or email)
- Get to know them and their priorities for your community, and think about how your museum addresses these issues
- Invite them to your museum events over the summer months
Some more information on the outcome of the election:
Find your riding HERE.
Find out who your MPP is HERE.
Keep an eye out for ONmuseums dedicated to advocacy for tools, resources, and updates on our advocacy initiatives.
The tips in the Ontario Election and Your Museum are still a good reference!