Schneider Haus National Historic Site
A local landmark and Kitchener's oldest dwelling, the Schneider Haus homestead (1816) was restored and furnished, then opened as a living history museum in 1981. The heart of the site is a fine, Georgian-frame farmhouse, built by and home to the area's earliest non-Indigenous inhabitants, Joseph and Barbara Schneider and their family, German Mennonites from Pennsylvania.
The significance of the ‘Haus’ to Waterloo Region’s heritage, and the dedication of many individuals, have shielded it from destruction. Since the founding of Berlin (now Kitchener), the house has witnessed and helped shape the development of its surrounding community. Beginning as a family home, transitioning into a rental property, a provincial historic site and finally a museum, the house's survival has been dependent on the values of the growing urban centre that surrounds it.
The Schneider Haus site comprises the historic ‘Haus’ and outbuildings – a summer house (wash house), spring house, bake oven, etc. – as well as a traditional Pennsylvania-German four-square garden, Schtick garden, and a newly developed green space for outdoor activities. The museum, which is connected to the house, features changing exhibits in its two main floor galleries, a classroom/meeting space for school programs and special events. The museum is especially known for its significant collection of Pennsylvania-German artifacts and folk art.
Coverlet, ca. 1879Anonymous169 cm x 235 cm1994.012.015 This coverlet is from the Fred and Dora-Mae Blayney collection of 15 coverlets, which was...