- Museum/Cultural Worker – An individual who is working or who has been working in a paid or unpaid capacity in a museum/cultural organization in Ontario; or an individual who is or has been a trustee of a museum/cultural organization in Ontario $85
- Colleague – An individual employed at an institution that is an OMA member in good standing $75
- Supporting – an individual who is interested in supporting the mission and the objectives of the OMA, but who is not eligible for membership in other categories $60
- Student – an individual enrolled full-time in a museum studies, arts administration or any other educational program in Ontario $50
Click here for more information about Individual Member Benefits.
An Ontario museum which falls within the definition of a museum as outlined in the Letters Patent, or any organization which is legally incorporated and professionally related to the mission and objectives of the Ontario Museum Association.
Institutional fees are based on Operating Budgets:
- Less than $165,000 - $100
- Between $165,000 and $2.1 million - 0.0007 x Annual Operating Budget (seven hundredths of one percent) = membership fee
- Greater than $2.1 million - $1,500
*This structure takes into consideration the varying operating budgets of our members and reflects the capacity of each member institution.
Click here for more information about Institutional Member Benefits
- Consultant – an individual who derives income from selling products or services to the museum sector $125
- Corporate – a corporation or business which is interested in supporting the mission and objectives of the Ontario Museum Association $325
Click here for more information about Commercial Member Benefits
Changes to OMA Membership Fees Effective April 1, 2022
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the OMA has continued to support its members by offering webinars and Member Check-Ins at no cost to members, and also by sharing sector-specific COVID-19 and funding resources. Members and lapsed members continued to receive weekly ONmuseums newsletters and eNews alerts with the latest information available. We were pleased to offer all members of our community a fully subsidized registration option for the OMA’s 2021 Annual Conference and bursaries for the Indigenous Collections Symposium and OMA Annual Conference 2020. By offering services free of charge, we were able to support those most affected by the pandemic in the Ontario museum community.
During these challenging times, the OMA successfully advocated for emergency, reopening, and digital capacity funding for members, and continues to advocate for increased and expanded CMOG funding for Ontario museums. Executive Director Marie Lalonde represented the museum sector as Co-Chair of the Festivals, Events, and Local Community Attractions Advisory Panel to the Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries, and in presentations to the Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs.
We continue to meet and collaborate with Regional Museum Networks across the province; National, Provincial, and Territorial museum associations; and the Group of Ontario Emerging Museum Professionals (GOEMP) and remain in continual contact with the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries, working in the interest of all Ontario museums and museum workers.
In order to maintain the OMA’s capacity for membership services and advocacy initiatives, there will be a small increase to some membership fees beginning April 1st, 2022, the first membership fee increase in 5 years. Our first membership fee adjustments since 2017 have been set with reference to annual dues at other provincial museum associations and heritage organizations.
To ensure that OMA membership is as accessible as possible at all levels and consider member resources to minimize impact while keeping the OMA’s programs and services sustainable, some categories have been left unchanged.
- There will be no change to Supporting or Student membership fees.
- Museum Culture Worker membership fees will increase from $80 to $85.
- Colleague membership fees will increase from $70 to $75.
- In recognition of the unique challenges that the COVID-19 pandemic poses to the smallest museums and heritage organizations, membership fees for organizations with an annual operating budget below $165,000 will not increase at this time.
- For organizations with an annual operating budget over $165,000 to $2.1 million, fees will be calculated at 0.07% (seven hundredths of one percent) of operating budget, increasing from 0.06%.
- For organizations with an annual operating budget above $2.1 million, fees will increase from $1,250 to $1,500.
- There will be no change to Consultant membership fees.
- Corporate membership fees will increase from $300 to $325.
If you have questions or need assistance with renewing your OMA membership, please contact Jennifer A. Lee, Membership & Administration Coordinator, at email@example.com or call the OMA office at 416-348-8672 (toll-free in Ontario 1-866-662-8672) and we will be happy to help.
Thank you for your continued support of the OMA, which supports all Ontario museums! We are pleased to work with you for a stronger and more resilient museum sector.