The Ontario Museum Association works with its members to ensure a relevant and sustainable museum sector for the benefit of Ontario residents and our global community. For any advocacy-related questions, please reach out to OMA Executive Director Marie Lalonde at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An advocacy-focused newsletter is sent to members on the 2nd Thursday of each month. See past issues here.
The documents below have been developed by the OMA to assist Ontario museums in communicating their impacts. For any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the OMA.
- Ontario's Museums and Action Plan
- Museums and Your Municipality
- Ontario Museums: Vital Tourism Assets
- Museums and Rural Communities
Current Advocacy Initiatives
The OMA recommends:
- That the 2021 Federal Budget extends and increases emergency support to museums;
- That through the 2021 Federal Budget the government continues to prioritize an investment of resources toward the review of the national museum policy;
- That the Federal Budget increases funding to Canada's museum to at least $60 million annually;
- That the government fund initiatives for digital transformation in museums; and
- That the government expands the Endowment Incentives and Limited Support components of the Canada Cultural Investment Fund to include heritage organizations including museums.
- 68% have delayed or cancelled seasonal hiring
- 63% of respondents will lose all revenue for April 2020
- 67% report potential for further job losses
Read a message from OMA Executive Director Marie Lalonde HERE.
The OMA has written a letter to Ministers MacLeod, Phillips, and McNaughton to request serious consideration and support of museums during this critical time in response to COVID-19. The OMA made the following recommendations:
1. An Ontario Museums Relief Fund
2. A Digital Response Fund
3. Early (first quarter) distribution of Ontario funding for museums and heritage organizations (Community Museum Operating Grants, Heritage Organization Development Grants, and Provincial Heritage Organization Grants)
4. Expanded employment program and income support measures, and facilitated access to these programs are top concerns for all Ontarians, including Ontario's museums.
Read the Letter HERE.
Support the OMA's recommendations by sending a letter to your local MPP.
The two recommended areas for funding are:
- Create Jobs for Young People in Growing Sectors
- Develop Digital Access & Engagement for Rural Communities
Museum staff, volunteers, and board members can support the OMA’s Submission in two key ways:
For more news about Advocacy, see the Advocacy editions of the OMA eNewsletter, ONmuseums, on the second Thursday of each month. ONmuseums is an OMA Member Benefit; to learn about membership, click here!