Please see below for a variety of collected funding opportunities relevant to Ontario's museums. This page will be refreshed regularly, however, deadlines may pass between updates. Additionally, please note that the OMA may be unable to provide information about specific opportunities; it is advised to contact the funders directly.
Last Updated: December 5, 2022
Ongoing: Museums Assistance Program - Exhibition Circulation Fund, Canadian Heritage
- The Exhibition Circulation Fund component assists museums with the costs related to the hosting of travelling exhibitions originating from another museum or from a federal heritage institution and the borrowing of artefacts from any of the National museums of Canada. Read the Application Guidelines for more information.
December 7, 2022: Resilient Communities Fund, Ontario Trillium Foundation
- OTF is investing in projects of non-profit organizations that have been impacted by COVID-19 to support their medium to longer-term recovery efforts and help rebuild their capacity and resiliency. Funding is available for projects that align with at least one of the Resilient Communities Fund outcomes to help organizations address their diverse needs and support them to rebuild and recover.
January 20, 2023: Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations - Employment Programs, Canadian Heritage
- This employment program lasts between six and 16 weeks, and supports organizations in Canada that have a heritage mandate
February 3, 2023: Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages - Employment Programs, Canadian Heritage
January 20, 2023: Young Canada Works Building Careers in Heritage - Internship Programs, Canadian Heritage
- This program offers several types of internships, and supports organizations from the heritage, arts and cultural sectors. Internships range from four to 12 months
February 21, 2023: Community Services Recovery Fund, Government of Canada
- The Fund is a $400 million investment from the Government of Canada to support charities and non-profits as they focus on how to adapt their organizations for pandemic recovery (applications open January 6, 2023)
Funding is available under the Tourism Relief Fund in southern Ontario for tourism operators to promote, present and/or expand activities that attract tourists and visitors to events happening between November 2022 and March 2023
Ongoing: Indigenous Peoples Resilience Fund, Community Foundations of Canada
- This fund is an Indigenous-led effort to respond to urgent community needs while taking a long-term view on building community resilience. Any Indigenous-led organization working to foster resilience in Inuit, Metis and First Nations communities anywhere in Canada can apply for resiliency support. Read the Applicant Guide for more information.
Ongoing: Green and Inclusive Community Buildings Program, Infrastructure Canada
This program is a national merit-based program with the objective of improving the availability and condition of community buildings in Canadian communities experiencing higher needs and who are currently underserved. Read the Applicant Guide for more information.
Ongoing: Ontario Cultural Attractions Fund
- OCAF has three specific aims: to increase cultural tourism by providing investments to assist Ontario cultural organizations to promote, market and present one-off or first-time events, or a significant expansion of existing activity, which are designed to attract new tourists and visitors to cultural events; increase the earned revenue capacity of the applicant organization; and support events that foster economic growth and contribute to job creation.
Ongoing: Supporting the Foundations of Cultural Infrastructure Initiative (supplemental funding for 2022-2023), Canadian Cultural Spaces Fund
The funding will provide a 1-time project-based support to current Canada Cultural Spaces Fund recipients with approved funding for a project that is currently under way and struggling with operational viability due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ongoing: Tourism Economic Development and Recovery Fund, Ontario Government
- This fund is an application-based, cost-sharing program designed to provide non-capital funding to projects. The program also supports innovative tourism recovery projects aimed at increasing tourism within Ontario to address the reduction in global travel as a result of coronavirus (COVID-19). Read the Application Guide for more information.
Ongoing: Canada Cultural Spaces Fund, Canadian Heritage
- The Canada Cultural Spaces Fund supports the improvement of physical conditions for arts, heritage culture and creative innovation. The Fund supports renovation and construction projects, the acquisition of specialized equipment and feasibility studies related to cultural spaces.
Ongoing: Commemorate Canada, Canadian Heritage
- The Commemorate Canada program provides funding to initiatives that commemorate and celebrate historical figures, places, events and accomplishments of national significance. The program favours commemorations and celebrations marking 25th, 50th, 75th, 100th anniversaries and subsequent anniversaries in increments of 25 years. For the commemoration of an individual, at least 10 years must have passed following their death.
Ongoing: Northern Ontario Heritage Fund
- The NOHF Corporation provides economic development funding toward approved projects in the territorial districts of Northern Ontario, namely Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay and Timiskaming. Four main programs are organized by the focus areas of business supports, community enhancement, people and talent, and cultural supports. There is a total of eight streams under the four programs: Invest North, People and Talent, Community Enhancement, and Cultural Supports.
Ongoing: Community Enhancement Program, Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation
- The Community Enhancement Program is designed to help build strong and resilient Northern communities through infrastructure investments, to upgrade / repair existing assets to improve community quality of life, economic development infrastructure and strategic economic development initiatives.
Ongoing: Community Events Stream, Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation
- The Community Events Stream supports organizations that host events that increase community profile and promote economic development in Northern Ontario. Municipalities, Indigenous communities, not-for-profit organizations, and Local Services Boards located in Northern Ontario are eligible to apply.
Ongoing: People and Talent Program, Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation
- The People & Talent Program is designed to attract, retain and develop Northern Ontario’s workforce. It has 2 streams: Indigenous Workforce Development Stream, and Workforce Development Stream.
Ongoing: Events - Community Support, Multiculturalism, and Anti-Racism Initiatives Program, Canadian Heritage
- The Events component of the Community Support, Multiculturalism, and Anti-Racism Initiatives Program provides funding to community-based events that promote intercultural or interfaith understanding, promote discussions on multiculturalism, diversity, racism and religious discrimination, or celebrate a community’s history and culture such as heritage months recognized by Parliament. Read the Application Guidelines for more information.
Ongoing: Digital Generator, Canada Council for the Arts
Digital Generator is a short-term initiative to support Canadian arts groups, collectives, and organizations to build their digital capacity and transform their business model and operations. This initiative offers 2 streams: to support hiring external consultants or experts, and to support implementing recommendations from external consultants or experts.
Ongoing: Digital Greenhouse, Canada Council for the Arts
- The Digital Greenhouse is a digital innovation initiative for Canadian individuals, groups and organizations. It supports short-term projects that leverage digital technology to address sectoral and digital challenges.
Ongoing: Movable Cultural Property Grants, Canadian Heritage
- Movable Cultural Property Grants help designated organizations acquire cultural property of outstanding significance and national importance to Canada, as outlined in the Cultural Property Export and Import Act. Designated organizations are located in Canada and demonstrate the ability to ensure the long-term preservation of cultural property. Grants can be used to purchase cultural property for which an export permit has been denied; or that is important to Canada’s national heritage and available for purchase outside the country.
Ongoing: Legacy Fund – Building Communities through Arts and Heritage, Canadian Heritage
- Funding provides funding for community-initiated capital projects, intended for community use. Recipients may receive up to 50 per cent of eligible project expenses up to a maximum of $500,000.
Ongoing: Reconnect Ontario — Marquee Event Fund, Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
- Funding provides support to municipalities and organizations in Ontario for the hosting of large-scale, high-impact events that meet the ministry’s definition of a marquee. The fund supports expenses related to programming and production, media buys specifically targeting tourist markets (40km or beyond), event security and accessibility services, all specific to the delivery of a Marquee Event. Applications must be submitted at least four months prior to the event start date.
Museums Assistance Program
- MAP Portal User Guide 2022: docx, PDF
- MAP Getting Started How-To Videos 2022: docx, PDF
- Museums Assistance Program - Collections Management, Canadian Heritage
- Museums Assistance Program - Indigenous Heritage, Canadian Heritage
- Museums Assistance Program - Access to Heritage, Canadian Heritage
- Museums Assistance Program - Recovery Fund for Heritage Organizations, Canadian Heritage
- Museums Assistance Program - Digital Access to Heritage, Canadian Heritage
- Museums Assistance Program - Canada-France Agreement, Canadian Heritage
- Economic Recovery and Resilience Fund, Ontario Trillium Foundation
- Canada History Fund, Canadian Heritage
- Commemorating the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, Commemorate Canada
- Seniors Community Grant Program, Ontario Government
- Francophone Community Grant Program, Ontario Government
- Highly Affected Sectors Credit Availability Program, Business Development Bank of Canada
- Tourism Relief Fund, FedNor
- Tourism Relief Fund, FedDev Ontario
- Jobs and Growth Fund, FedNor
- Jobs and Growth Fund, FedDev Ontario
- Canada Community Revitalization Fund, FedDev Ontario
- Community Anniversaries - Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage, Canadian Heritage
- Capital Grants, Ontario Trillium Foundation
- Ontario Grant to Support Anti-Hate Security Measures for the Faith-Based and Cultural Organizations, Ontario Government
- Making Cultural Spaces Safe During COVID-19 Initiative, Canada Cultural Spaces Fund
- Local Festivals - Building Communities Through Arts and Heritage, Canadian Heritage
- Enabling Accessibility Fund, Employment and Social Development Canada
- Call for Proposals, Digital Museums Canada
For more funding opportunities, please visit: